Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 7 of the beach hunt.

Well,
I didn't get to do any detecting on the last day at the beach.  Rain rolled in and since my detector is not waterproof, day 7 was a no go.  But all was not lost, I love to listen to rain at the beach and as an added bonus, I got to watch a lightening show over the water.

I learned a lot of things taking my 505 to the beach.  Contrary to what some people say, the 505 can succesfully used in wet sand.  While I found no expensive treasures, I did learn how to set up the detector for wet sand and what to listen for, at least at Holden Beach, NC.  I know all beaches are different, but I am willing to bet that most of the beaches in SC and NC are similar.  I was able to hunt the wet sand with a very high sensitivity setting and almost no discrimination.  There was a little bit of a "bounce" issue if you hit the sand while doing your sweep, but once you know what is going on you can avoid/adjust for it.

Dry sand detecting was easy too.  I was running sensitivity at almost 100% and 0 discrimination.  It hit hard several times on bread ties that were well over 8" deep. I did a test with a gold ring at 10" deep and it picked up with no problem.  As stated in an earlier post, I feel that if this had been more of a commercial beach, like Myrtle, instead of beach that has 100% rented houses and no motels, more valuable targets would have been identified.

I consider this past week a complete metal detecting success.  I may not have found a platinum ring, but I know a lot about how my detector works and how to use it.  I would say that I have a better understanding of my machine than most people who have had there machine only a couple of weeks. 

No comments: